Enjoyable football coaching for all learning styles
Our F.A. Qualified Coaches are committed to delivering a high level of coaching for all learning styles to ensure the player can not only develop their football but also their person via the F.A. four corner approach.
The playing members and their welfare are the most integral part of Thurlby Tigers FC and therefore coaches should aim to provide a fun, friendly environment in which to learn, develop and enjoy competitive football.
Our coaches ensure football is enjoyable by making training sessions fun and age appropriate, while striving to improve the player’s individual skills and team development. They encourage fair play and teamwork whilst maintaining discipline within the squad using player lead coaching techniques such as guided discovery and undertake frequent plan-do-review of sessions.
Confident, Creative, Clever football
All of our coaches should aim to make the game safe, fair and enjoyable whilst providing age-appropriate coaching (5-11, 12-16, 17+) to develop the whole player across all four corners of the Football Association’s LTPD model.
Throughout our club from U5’s to Adult football we have adopted a playing philosophy which all of our coaches encourage and promote;
Confident, Creative, Clever football.
Our approach to football coaching aims to:
- Improve the player’s movement skills: agility, balance, co-ordination and speed.
- Develop the player’s technical skills.
- Increase the player’s decision-making capabilities.
- Teach the player life skills (co-operation, teamwork, communication and friendship).
As a minimum, all our coaches will complete the following;
- The FA Level 1 Award in Coaching Football
- FA Emergency Aid
- FA Safeguarding Children Workshop
- All our coaches have Enhanced FA CRB checks.
Our coaches are encouraged to register and use the FA Bootroom library of sessions and learning modules.
All coaches are expected to undertake a positive approach to mentoring, motivating, facilitating and teaching the players of their respective teams. Our coaches are aware that they are in a position to act as positive role models for the club and positivity is the key to our success and we pride ourselves on positive forms of communication and leadership.
All coaches will be required to regularly participate in the clubs Coaching Forum (approx. 4 per season) and an open-minded, respectful, interactive & positive attitude is expected.
On the touchline
All of our Coaches are required to strictly follow the Respect Code of Conduct and ensure that;
- Players must be free to play during matches, with positive encouragement from parents and coaches.
- Information from the touchline should be in the form of occasional questions from the coaching staff only.
- Patrolling the touchline giving continuous shouted instructions does not happen.
- Players always try their best and will learn from their mistakes without being told they have done wrong.
Long Term Player Development (LTPD)
Our long term goal is to produce teams that can eventually compete. This means that the LTPD should be valued above results. The club defines success as improving players and teams over time, by rewarding performance and effort and not just the result. Learning to accept defeat is an important life skill.
Players benefit by playing a variety of positions, helping them to play the game more effectively. Fun, small sided games (SSG’s) allow more touches on the ball and are used to coach multiple skills and tactics via conditioned rules.
Meet the Thurlby Tigers football coaches
The latest info on COVID-19 and Grassroots Football.
Football should be enjoyed in a safe, positive environment.
Welfare and safeguarding is our first priority.